In the mood for some yummy Chinese food but want to avoid the next day MSG/salt/carb hangover? (Don’t act like you don’t know what I mean.) Try some Paleo orange chicken for dinner or, better yet, lunch! It travels well and tastes great microwaved! Let’s get to it: Gather your ingredients: chicken thighs (buy boneless if you are feeling lazy like me), oranges, ginger, green onions, tamari or coconut aminos, garlic chili sauce, and fat of choice (I always use rendered bacon fat).
Zest one whole orange. I have a zester somewhere, which of course I couldn’t find, but I used the fine side of a grater instead. Good enough. Squeeze the juice from both oranges.
And here you have the prepped ingredients for the orange sauce. We are going to cook this separately, so it can thicken while we cook the chicken.
Put all ingredients into a small sauce pan and simmer over low-medium heat while cooking the chicken. Cut the chicken thighs into bite sized pieces. You can use chicken breast if you absolutely have to, but I recommend using chicken thighs because it stays juicy and delicious after pan-frying. Melt your fat-o-choice in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the bite sized chicken thighs and cook over high heat. Cook the chicken until slightly browned on each side. By this time the sauce should have reduced and thickened.
Pour the orange sauce over the chicken in the frying pan and stir to combine. Mmmmmmmmm. Top with chopped green onions. Looking for an easy side dish? Saute chopped bok choy in the chicken frying pan with some garlic, oil, and tamari or coconut aminos. The leaved will pick up all the yummy bits from the pan and add amazing flavor.
Paleo-Friendly Meals: Orange Chicken
Number of servings: 2
Per Serving 426 calories
Fat 10 g
Carbs 36 g
Protein 50 g
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs (cut into bite size pieces)
- 3 Tablespoons fat-o-choice
- Juice of 2 oranges
- Zest from 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger
- 3 Tablespoons tamari or coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
- 3 green onions, chopped
- In a medium size sauce pot, add the orange juice, zest, ginger, tamari, and chili garlic sauce.
- Set over low-medium heat and simmer to reduce and thicken.
- In a frying pan, heat the fat-o-choice over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken thighs and cook until browned.
- Add the thickened orange sauce to the frying pan and toss to coat.
- Serve topped with sliced green onions.
Pingback: Food | Pearltrees